At Sport 4 Life UK we want to give every young person we work with the chance to make a positive change in their lives, and we believe that challenging backgrounds should not hold them back.
- 40% of unemployed people in the UK are under 25 and nearly 50% of those have been unemployed for over a year.
- 19,500 is the number of unemployed young people in Birmingham. 6810 are currently claiming Job Seekers Allowance.
- 10.5% is the youth unemployment rate in Birmingham. This is the highest amongst core cities in the UK, and over double the UK average of 4.2%.
Low Educational Attainment
- 143,576 people in Birmingham aged 16+ have no qualifications.
- 41.2% of the population of Birmingham aged 16+ has not achieved 5 A*-C GCSEs
- 64% of young people aged 16+ that come from disadvantaged low-income backgrounds do not achieve 5 A* to C GCSEs.
- 40% of Birmingham’s population live in areas in the most deprived 10% of England.
- 23% of the population live in areas in the most deprived 5%.
- Three of Birmingham’s constituencies rank in the top ten for child poverty in the UK.
- Birmingham is ranked in the bottom 15% nationally for violent and sexual offences.
- 18% of all criminal offenders in Birmingham are aged 10 to 18.