Employment & Skills Trustee / Director (REF-005)
Sport 4 Life UK is currently seeking to recruit a trustee with employment and skills expertise for its Board. This is an excellent opportunity to be actively involved in supporting the work of a dynamic and ambitious charity which makes a positive and lasting impact on the lives of disadvantaged young people in the Birmingham and West Midlands area.
We are particularly interested in hearing from employment, education and skills professionals with significant high-level strategic experience and knowledge. We are interested in hearing from those with experience in HE/FE, the welfare-to-work sector, employment and skills contact procurement and tendering, national and regional employment and skills strategy, and contract risk management. An understanding of Government funding streams (e.g. AEB, ESFA, UKSPF) is desirable, as well as an understanding of employer engagement – working with employers to create and support young people into employment.
Trustees are currently appointed on a voluntary basis and required to commit to a minimum term of appointment of three years. Board meetings take place in Birmingham (virtually during lockdown) on a quarterly basis (January, April, July, and October) with trustees also having the opportunity to contribute to the work of our organisation outside of Board meetings in a range of ways depending on their skillset.
Applications from underrepresented and minority groups (e.g. BAME candidates) are particularly welcome.
The Employment & Skills Trustee will support the Board to oversee the organisation’s role within the employment and skills sector. All trustees are also jointly responsible for the overall governance and administration of the charity.
The role will support the executive team in developing its impact management, its research and insights work, and evidence the change it makes with young people – to ensure reliability and validity.
The Employment & Skills Trustee is accountable to the Board.
The Employment & Skills Trustee should adhere to the role description of a trustee / director and in addition has the following responsibilities:
- Liaising, where applicable, with the Head of Operations & Contracts and Head of Research & Impact on employment, employability, skills, research and impact related matters.
- Supporting the Board to monitor the organisation’s positioning within, and contribution to, the employment and skills sector and market.
- Ensuring close working relationships with relevant committees of the Board.
- Developing the research and insights management within the organisation
- Developing the impact management with the organisation, ensuring that outcomes and impact are appropriately evidenced and validated
- Supporting the M&E systems as part of impact management to ensure a data-rich, evidence-led and insights-informed approach to the organisation’s Theory of Change and customer journey pathway
- Act as communications spokesperson on behalf of the board, when required.
- Be an active champion of S4L.
● Understanding of S4L’s operating environment and the key governance requirements for board members
- Ability to analyse the environment, set and prioritise objectives
- Ability to make own views known and make decisions in a group environment and in line with strategic objectives.
- Ability to listen intently, carefully and objectively
- Ability to convey ideas, information and opinion clearly and concisely
- Supportive of the chair, fellow board members and the Executive Team
- Ability to challenge the views of others appropriately
- Ability to build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
How to apply
To apply for this position, please to complete the online application form below or email Tom Clarke directly. You will also need to attach the following documents:
- Your CV
- Your cover letter covering what interests you about Sport 4 Life UK and how you could contribute to the organisation (please limit this to one side of A4)
The deadline for all applicants is Monday 28th September 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an informal interview (date tbc). For more details or to discuss this Trustee vacancy, please contact Sport 4 Life UK on 0121 456 1818.
Following the appointment of the successful candidate, a full background check and induction will take place, in line with Sport 4 Life UK’s policies and procedures.