Marketing Trustee / Director (REF-004)
Sport 4 Life UK is currently seeking to recruit a trustee with marketing expertise for its Board. This is an excellent opportunity to be actively involved in supporting the work of a dynamic and ambitious charity which makes a positive and lasting impact on the lives of disadvantaged young people in the Birmingham and West Midlands area.
We are particularly interested in hearing from marketing professionals with significant high-level strategic experience and knowledge, to include digital marketing. We are interested in hearing from marketers with a proven ability to drive through an organisation marketing and communications strategy and deliver consistent and effective branding to support growth. An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship is also desirable.
Trustees are currently appointed on a voluntary basis and required to commit to a minimum term of appointment of three years. Board meetings take place in Birmingham (virtually during lockdown) on a quarterly basis (January, April, July, and October) with trustees also having the opportunity to contribute to the work of our organisation outside of Board meetings in a range of ways depending on their skillset.
Applications from underrepresented and minority groups (e.g. BAME candidates) are particularly welcome.
The Marketing Trustee will support the Board to oversee the marketing and communications strategy of the charity, as well as its digital work benchmarked against the Charity Digital Code. All trustees are also jointly responsible for the overall governance and administration of the charity.
The role will support the executive team in developing and implementing a strategic marketing and communications plan to advance S4L’s brand identity, broaden awareness of who we are and what we do, and increase visibility to a wider audience.
The Marketing Trustee is accountable to the Board.
The Marketing Trustee should adhere to the role description of a trustee / director and in addition has the following responsibilities:
Main responsibilities and duties:
- Liaising, where applicable, with the CEO and Head of Business Development and supporting on marketing and communication matters.
- Supporting the Board to monitor the marketing, communications and digital strategic objectives and performance of the charity.
- Ensuring close working relationships with relevant committees of the Board.
- Developing the market position and brand of S4L to a variety of audiences, enabling us to achieve our aims.
- Supporting the CEO and Head of Business Development in creating and implementing a marketing and communications strategy that will allow S4L to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences including the media and key influencers.
- Work with the trustees and staff to recognise internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Act as communications spokesperson on behalf of the board, when required.
- Be an active champion of S4L.
● Understanding of S4L’s operating environment and the key governance requirements for board members
- Ability to analyse the environment, set and prioritise objectives
- Ability to make own views known and make decisions in a group environment and in line with strategic objectives.
- Ability to listen intently, carefully and objectively
- Ability to convey ideas, information and opinion clearly and concisely
- Supportive of the chair, fellow board members and the Executive Team
- Ability to challenge the views of others appropriately
- Ability to build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
How to apply
To apply for this position, please to complete the online application form below or email Tom Clarke directly. You will also need to attach the following documents:
- Your CV
- Your cover letter covering what interests you about Sport 4 Life UK and how you could contribute to the organisation (please limit this to one side of A4)
The deadline for all applicants is Monday 28th September 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an informal interview (date tbc). For more details or to discuss this Trustee vacancy, please contact Sport 4 Life UK on 0121 456 1818.
Following the appointment of the successful candidate, a full background check and induction will take place, in line with Sport 4 Life UK’s policies and procedures.